Americans Lost $143 Million In Online Relationship Scams Last Year

(Alicia Keith) #1

Americans Lost $143 Million In Online Relationship Scams Last Year

This month is always marked by hearts and relationships but beware of online scammers when looking for love. This is one topic that always makes me cringe because it is preying on the emotions of others when they are at their most vulnerable. Some of the most common requests that are stated were designed to play on the idea that the relationship is real. These included money for travel and medical bills. What is shocking is that people over the age of 70 lose the most money at a median rate of $10,000 each.

This type of social engineering really makes me feel as if things will only continue to get worse if we do not stay vigilant and make sure we never give out information or money without checking everything over first. An important part of this is keeping ourselves and our loved ones as informed as possible to avoid these scams.

The trend for this type of imposter scam seems to be getting more and more common, probably due to the increase of social games and websites each year. As terrible as it is, we need to be careful and skeptical, even when it comes to love. I hope everyone stays safe this Valentine’s day! What are your thoughts on this growing epidemic of romantic scams?