Homeland Season 7 Episode 2 - Carrie Gets Socially Engineered. Downloads Ransomware from 4 Chan!

homeland
hack

(Howard) #1

Spoiler Alert!
Carrie is socially engineered by a hacker on 4 chan and downloads a malicious PDF file.
We pick up after Episode 1. Here’s a quick recap at the Guardian you may want to read first.
Homeland Season Six Finale: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/apr/10/homeland-season-six-finale-recap-america-first

Season 7 Premiere episode 1 is available free online see links below!

Season 7 Episode 2. “Rebel Rebel”

Mini recap. For more detail see links at the bottom of this post!
The episode gets its name from the actions of its character Brett O’Keefe who the Keane administration is trying to hunt down. But Brett has taken his popular voice of the rebellion underground radio show on the road and is in radio broadcast stealth mode moving and gaining popularity. The local people start tattooing his likeness on their arms.

President Keane is verbally arm-twisted by David Wellington (Chief of Staff) to release the “two hundred ” a group of intelligence agents who were believed to be a part of the unsuccessful assassination attempt on power-hungry President Keane. They were subsequently incarcerated in a previous episode. General McClendon, a leader of the rebellion, was previously sentenced and imprisoned for planning the failed assassination attack. Now the out of control administration decides to kill McLendon while holding him in prison claiming he died of a heart attack. Saul, who is (Carrie’s long-time mentor) is released from incarceration and re-recruited into the administration as National Defense Director after Wellington convinces the President (Keane) that if they don’t release the 200, she needs to be prepared to lock up half of Washington’s inner circle. By reigning in Saul, Wellington thinks they have a credible member of the team whom they think they can control.

It seems Carrie’s been struggling with Bipolar disorder and was prescribed Lithium for the last 15 years. Her therapist informs her she thinks the drug has stopped working. It’s called burnout.

Meanwhile, Carrie’s been trying to cope with her moods and the intense drowsiness side effect from the Seroquel her therapist prescribed. She has thousands of dollars in credit card debt and is now living in her sisters home. She’s planted webcams in Wellington’s place illegally monitoring his peccadillos. She seems to be hooked on this voyeuristic game but then discovers a mysterious woman she believes is a person of interest and gets a screenshot of her face. She looks for help from an ex-coworker, Dante, who doesn’t give her the time of day. Without help, Carrie turns to the Dark Web’s 4 Chan asking its users for help in ID’ing the mysterious woman. Someone responds and sends her a PDF. Before you can scream “think before you click, Carrie downloads the PDF and ends up with -----RANSOMWARE.

But this cybercrook is not just interested in Bitcoin. They don’t even mention digital coin at all just $$$. But this hacker isn’t playing by the typical Ransomware playbook. He keeps doubling her ransom amount until it hits $20K — a number a broke Carrie can’t pay. Carrie out of luck and exasperated decides to play her own scam. Carrie decides to social engineer the hacker. She engages the hacker again on 4 Chan and during the chat starts a striptease and gets down to bare chest and then stops. This leads the hacker to invite her to a dingy building. The guy is hiding in the shadows and commands her to take off her shirt. When she complies he reaches around her from the back and starts rubbing her back. Carrie starts to quiver and freaks. She head-butts the hacker who is no match for her CIA training and combat skills. She then bites him and gives him the beating of his life with a “baton” leaving him a bloody mess on the floor and nearly chokes him to death. It doesn’t take much more “persuasion” to get him to unlock her computer. After videotaping him, she leaves him a bloody mess with a parting message. I’m CIA. Mess with me again, and I will hunt you down and kill you. Looks like he’s down with that.

If you haven’t had a chance to watch the Homeland you’re missing a great series. If a show can last 7 seasons on Showtime, it’s a hit.

Showtime has offered the Season 7 premiere for free here.

For all past episodes here’s a great link.

About Homeland from Showtime

“Homeland is an edge-of-your-seat sensation. CIA officer Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes) is tops in her field despite being bipolar, which makes her volatile and unpredictable. With the help of her long-time mentor Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin), Carrie fearlessly risks everything, including her personal well-being and even sanity, at every turn. You won’t be able to turn away from this gripping, emotional thriller in which nothing short of the fate of our nation is at stake.”

• Howard Sobel

(Amy) #2

I love Homeland! When I saw the preview I thought, how did she get ransomware on her laptop, and then she was scrolling 4chan. I wanted to shout at my TV, “Don’t download that file!”

(Howard) #3

I know. I know. It was a riveting scene.

(Tasha) #4

I actually did yell at my TV. I was like NOOOOO what are you doing dont do it!!! Anyone else a little upset that she dosent lock her computer when she leaves her room, considering she is spying on Wellington and her sister seems to have no problems going through her stuff?

(Howard) #5

Tasha. No PIN. No Biometrics IRIS scan/crude face scan… Not even a physical key. An IRIS scan would be easy to navigate even if you were over or under medicated. I wonder what agents are using today? I guess if your meds are wearing off you might get disorganized or sloppy but she’s been through intense training. What’s up with that? She just whopped a guy with a baton and head butt CIA style. You would think she’s follow basic SecOps. That’s a script flaw.

I’ve been tracking a number of shows of interest (those where the plots and characters use social engineering, hacking, ransomware and I’ll bet we’ll see phishing soon) to post here. If you just caught Scandal Version S7 E.13 “Air Force 2” Episode. SPOILER (Close eyes) The virus on the jet was a self inflicted . Anyone here interested in deconstructing show hacks that I post?