How Would You React? What ‘Killing Eve’ Can Teach Us About Social Engineering

IBM Sec Intelligence had an interesting article today. I haven’t watched the TV series Killing Eve but now I will. The human factor is a powerful tool in the social engineering tradecraft with the ultimate goal of getting your subject/mark/victim to do what you want them to do. In some respects a “con” job. Good social engineering tradecraft requires establishing a degree of human trust. And good social engineers need to know all the nuances of human behavior. Most people want to be helpful. And social engineering relies heavily on that trait. Hey, we all want to help don’ we? Some of you met Frank Abnigale at last year’s KB4-Con after his keynote and took photos with him. He’s a pretty interesting guy. The movie “Catch Me If You Can” with Leonardo DiCaprio was based on his life story. https://blog.knowbe4.com/hs-fs/hubfs/KB4-Con18/KB4Con-Day3-00006.jpg?width=1200&name=KB4Con-Day3-00006.jpg

He is quoted heavily in this article. “There is no technology that can defeat social engineering, including artificial intelligence (AI),” he told me. “You can only defeat social engineering through education.”

How Would You React? What ‘Killing Eve’ Can Teach Us About Social Engineering