Interesting new Phising tactic for me that is

(David A Hahne Sr.) #1

I have recently received several emails that have wound up in my spam folder. What sends them there, is that there are from me supposedly, with known companies, companies I might add that I have never worked for. The most recent one came from me working @ ATT (ex. myemail@att.com) and wanting me to open the letter for the great offer that awaited me inside. Has anyone else received any of these attempts? And is this suppose to be the latest in Phising attempts? Curious to know if anyone recently has encountered this. - Dave

(Edwin Eekelaers) #2

Oh yeah , mails with bills & so… A 46kb large word doc with macro’s makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up immediately…

(Matt Parkes) #3

What can you say, their are intelligent phishers and not so intelligent ones or their are lazy or not so lazy phishers out there.

(David A Hahne Sr.) #4

You would think that if you attempting to phish me, you wouldn’t try to send me something from myself at a place I have never worked for, unless you expected me out of curiosity to open up the email to see what it is. I can only hope that no one is that foolish, not in the cyber-world we live in today. I guess as you say Matt, I have now met one of “not so Intelligent” ones out there.

(Doris Farnham) #5

Afraid to say it but many users just see THEIR NAME and don’t ever realize it is FROM themselves. They don’t even see the bogus company part.
I’ve seen that for years.
The majority of ones we are getting right now seem to be coming from HELP DESK which in our environment is really frightening because we have a valid “IT Help Desk” account.

(Matt Parkes) #6

I get a fair few Linkedin requests via email but rather than click i links in the email I go straight to the app on my phone and most times I have no request, i even get them on my work email even though I do not have my work email stored against my profile, blatant obvious phish, after checking links etc… So no matter what the request in an email I never follow links I always log in directly to an app or service and check their first. Common sense in this day and age.

(Warren White M.S. Cybersecurity) #7

I have received the LinkedIn request sent to my college email and it was from one of my professors. I didn’t have my college email linked to my Linkedin but since I knew the professor well I was intrigued to see if they were trying to invite me. I didn’t click on it but it seemed pretty real. I deleted the email and went to my Linkedin account. There weren’t any requests from the professor. There are some good phishing attacks that if you don’t second guess everything it could catch you off guard.