Mr. Robot Season 4 Episode 1 Recap "401 Unauthorized" Let's discuss it here!

Season 4 of Mr. Robot opened with a big bang. It starts pretty much where last season left off. Sam Esmail presents one of the most dramatic episodes in the series. One of the main characters gets whacked in the opening scene. Before I proceed, here’s a spoiler alert. The forum supports the spoiler alert tag which hides the text unless you actively click on the text block to unhide it. Mr. Robot can be seen on USA Network on Sunday at 10 PM EDT.

Let’s get started!

Mr. Robot Season 4 Episode 1 Recap “401 Unauthorized”
Opening Scene: Price and Angela are having a heated and emotional discussion on the lawn of Phillip’s estate.

Angela Moss (Portia Doubleday) having recovered from her mental meltdown for being a part of mass murder has a stand-up discussion with Phillip Price (Michael Cristofer), (CEO of E Corp (and as we learned previously, her dad, is also a pawn of the Dark Army). In what might be one of the most heartbreaking dramatic moments of the series, Phillip pleads for Angela to abandon any thoughts of a revenge campaign against Whiterose, (B.D. Wong), Dark Army’s transgender woman leader and (Angela’s former friend) and head of the Dark Army. The usually calm Phillip finally gets emotional (for Phillip ) but fails to convince Angela to back off from her pursuit of “retribution.” She stoically, but sarcastically reminds him. “You’re panicking right now.” Remove all emotion, and you’ll be just fine." A line Philip has dropped on her before. Angela says she’s not running away and looks off into the distance as if she sees something. Two hooded Dark Army operatives guns in hand start running toward Angela. Phillip abandons all hope for her knowing what is coming and walks away. About 100 feet away, he tears out the wire he’s wearing, letting the Dark Army and Whiterose listen in on every word. He knows she’s written her death warrant. These are emotions that Philip has never before allowed himself to feel. Angela sits down to accept her fate. The Dark Army assassins line up behind her as she is seated on palatial estate concrete slab. Instantly like robots, they shoot her in the head. Twice for good measure. Angela lies motionless on the ground dead. Phillip heads back to his house, attempting to moderate the chaos in his mind and has a feeble meltdown call with Whiterose. He calls her a psychotic several times as he tries to make sense of his cowardice and the loss of his daughter. Whiterose, "Phillip, if you feel you must take it out on me I don’t mind bearing the burden, I’ve been very good at it over the years don’t you think? I’m sorry for your loss. She hangs up. Her assistant enters. Team has an update from Elliot. The shipment Elliot is sending will need two months to arrive --just in time for the Christmas holiday. Assistant tells Whiterose, “Alderson can’t be trusted and must be kept on a short leash.” Whiterose tells assistant that Elliot (Rami Malek) will be terminated after the shipment arrives. Whiterose orders her to send him a reminder if there is any interference. Whiterose stairs into the ocean. Scene switches to New York Harbor at Christmas. Drummer boy plays.

The show continues in high thriller mode, and we get some hacking and social engineering action. Scene switches to an office party in NY where a very creepy lawyer, Freddy Lomax, Jake Busey, whose been handling Whiterose’s offshore dealings and shell companies, is drinking heavily. A letter arrives that freaks him out, and he goes into his private office. Here we see he’s a pedo and chatting with a very young girl. It’s more graphic. Sextortion is waiting for this slimy creep. Things are about to change permanently. His phone buzzes, and he grabs it. He turns off the video chat room. Mr. Robot (Christian Slater), on the other end, lets him know its all captured on video.[b]"Mr. Robot, “I want you to open the email I sent you and CLICK ON THE LINK FREDDY.” Freddy: "Is this some kind of ransomware thing? Are you trying to get money out of me? Mr. Robot, "Not about money, Freddy. Do what I tell you or I’m going to the FBI.
Freddie: "You know this isn’t going to get past our IT guys Mr. Robot: "That’s what I’m counting on. Freddy sweating. OK. I just clicked it. Mr. Robot: "Get the USB from the envelope. He wants him to insert the USB and copy the contents of his inbox to the USB, having left instructions on how to archive. Freddy says that’s got sensitive information. Mr. Robot doesn’t give a sh* and tells him. Leave anything with an on-off switch like your phone, your Fitbit, or your Smartwatch in the office and bring the USB to Grand Central along with the phone. Freddy rants about how this is going to destroy his clients and everyone else, and they are dealing with a potent foe. Freddy: "Who the **** is this? This is Mr. Robot!

Eliot discovers the secret bank account where Whiterose stashed the money from the inbox. Mr. Robot tells him where to meet. Dark Army agents are looking all over Grand Central station. Turns out later that Mr. Robot is helping him to avoid the Dark Army hunting team navigating him to a train. Now Elliot appears. He’s got all the bank info related to Whiterose on his computer and details what he’s found to Lomax. After attempting to threaten Elliot by gunpoint to give back the info, Freddy discloses how dangerous Dark Army is. Freddy gives Elliot a name of a contact in the city. Freddy has forgotten to ditch his Bluetooth ID office ID leaving an NFC trail for the Dark Army and they are closing in. The discussion ends. Freddy realizes there’s no exfil for him in the plan so he offs himself with his gun outside the station where a crowd gathers.

Scene:Tyrell Wellick, (Martin Wallstrom) is a resurrected back in good standing and at ECoin.
Scene: FBI agent, Dom DiPierro (Grace Gummer) is living at her mom’s. She is awakened by a noise. A van is in the driveway, and she scribbles down the plates and goes for her gun. Gun in hand, she sweeps the house and finds…the plumber. She is paranoid for a good reason. She was almost executed in a prior season. But it turns out her mom wants to be a matchmaker and set up a date for her with a woman who turns out to be another Dark Army agent.

Elliot’s sister, Darlene, (Carly Chaikin), has been hitting the coke hard again. She goes to Elliot’s apartment to tell him Darlene is alive. She’s seen her as the homeless person Angela reverted to after her meltdown following the deaths she was responsible for in the prior season. Elliot doesn’t have the heart to show her the photos that he’s been sent of Angela’s corpse.

Mr. Robot and Elliot are tracking down John Garcia. They go to his apartment. But he doesn’t exist. It’s a false flag. Even worse, the documents given to him by Lomax were fake. He’s being set up. Elliot and Mr. Robot find the apartment empty … sort of. The Dark Army guys have him trapped. Elliot tells the Dark Army if anything happens to me he’s made arrangements for the project to go public. Something bad is going to happen. A lethal overdose of heroin is injected into his arm as he is held. The dose is delivered by Sam Esmail (the writer). He’s fading fast and tries to get to the phone. Not happening. He starts to nod off and lights out. Elliot appears dead. Goodbye friend! A few minutes pass. The room fills once more with the Dark Army team who spray Narcan in Elliot’s nose just in time to save him from an overdose. Elliot is not dead. Phillip in background. “Welcome back Mr. Alderson.”

Season 4 Episode 2 to follow!

Featured Webinars

Advanced Phishing and
Training

Monday 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM
» Learn More
Outlook Phish Alert Button
Tuesday 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM
» Learn More
Customizing Phishing Templates, Landing Pages, & Training Notifications
Wednesday 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM
» Learn More