Scammers Now Using Jamal Khashoggi fiancée spam ploy

spam

(Howard) #1

It doesn’t take long for the scammers and spambots to pick up on the latest theme and current events. We all know that scammers are getting better every day at sophisticated social engineering. But here’s a specimen I grabbed today obviously from a spambot in the Nigerian scam style. Even the unsophisticated spammers are now grabbing onto the tragic Jamal Kashoggi’s affair and “spoofing” his fiancée!

Is there anyone gullible enough to start a conversation with this scammer? You bet! And once the conversation is started numerous social engineering ploys can be utilized. But if you got this far I doubt social engineering is needed to pull off a scam. The hook is halfway set if they even responded. If the scammers weren’t making any money they would shut down and go away. A surprising number of people still fall victim to these scams after over twenty years. These are often referred to as.“419” scams.

They are called 419 scams because of the Nigerian Penal code that deals with prosecuting the perps in Nigeria. But now the scammers come from all over the world.

This article shows that this type of scam is still reeling in plenty of money and the perpetrators are not necessarily the kind of people who you might think.

"Reporter Erika Eichelberger spent time with Nigerian scam artists in 2014. She found them to be surprisingly forthcoming.

She reported that most scammers tended to be ordinary people, such as university students or people working low-paying jobs, who discovered that they could make fabulously more money – as much as $60,000 per year – scamming.

In most cases, after establishing a connection and cultivating a relationship, the scammers eventually get around to persuading their targets to provide their bank account or credit card information. They prefer to pursue 45-to-75-year-old widowed men and women. The thinking goes that this demographic is most likely to have money and be lonely – in other words, easy marks."

You may remember a guy named P.T. Barnum from high school reading. He was the founder of the Barnum & Bailey Circus , also known as the Ringling Bros. Circus. He was also a respected author, publicist, and philanthropist. He was most remembered for a quote often attributed to him. “There’s a sucker born every minute”"He was also noted for another quote: “ Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public and

A similar quote is attributed to journalist and satirist H. L. Mencken. *“No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.”

Here it is in all its glory!

I am Hatice Cengiz from Turkey fiance to Mr Jamal Khashoggi who was killed inside the Saudi Embassy in Turkey.

Before the death of my fiance, he deposited the sum of $8.3million USD in bank , which he intended to use for investment in real estate in my country.

Due to the politics associated with his death .I have decided to seek for a foreign partner ,who will help me receive this fund in his or her country for safe keeping .

I am willing to give you 20% of the fund, if you accept to render to me the requested services.

Waiting for your prompt response

Your Faithful

Hatice Cengiz