Tax Identity Theft Awareness Week is January 28 to February 1st

(Howard) #1

It’s Tax Identify Theft Awareness Week next week.

This annual campaign aims to help consumers be more informed about protecting themselves from tax-related identity theft and scams. Tax-related identity theft occurs when someone steals a Social Security number and uses it to claim a tax refund or get a job. The National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center (NCCIC), part of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), encourages consumers to review the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) publication Taxes. Security. Together., and NCCIC Tips on Preventing and Responding to Identity Theft and IRS and NCCIC Caution Users: Prepare for Heightened Phishing Risk This Tax Season for more information.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-activity/2019/01/24/Tax-Identity-Theft-Awareness-Week

(Lee Esselstrom) #2

My w2 got stolen out of the mail a several years ago and someone got my refund. I now get my w2s handed to me and I have to get a new pin number every year from the IRS to file my taxes. It is a huge headache to have this happen to you, between fighting/filling out a “bazillion” forms and affidavits with the IRS and proving you didn’t actually file already.

(Howard) #3

I’ve had friends victimized by what they presumed to be snail mail identify fraud several years ago. Credit cards were opened and used to buy stuff at various places. When it happens to you it really gets personal. W-2 fraud is really serious and getting increasingly popular as a form of phishing and potentially financially devastating to the victim. You can also chalk up one more thing to the list. If the scammers are found and get caught by the authorities you can end up testifying as a witness, giving testimony to the police and following the outcome. Another level of time suck although there’s some solace is seeing them caught and punished. Thanks Esselstrom for sharing your experience!

(Lee Esselstrom) #4

Having the info from my stolen W2, they tried opening various charge account in my name, but were foiled by not having the pin number to my accounts at the big 3 credit companies, equifax, Experian, ect. After reporting the indecent they allow you to pin protect your credit score accounts (free) and then no one can even check your credit without the pin. It saved me a lot of trouble, I’m sure, because i got the rejection letters from creditors saying the they would not open an account.