[TECH TALK] Can AI Apply For A Patent? So Far The Judges Are Split. What Do You Say?

I read this in Forbes today. Can AI Be an Inventor and if so can AI file for A Patent? In cases in the UK and US 2 judges said no. It’s not a human. In cases in South Africa and Australia 2 judges said yes AI can be the inventor. This is a wild question. Since AI was created by humans then should the humans be the inventor(s). What do you think?

If the AI can be the inventor (which I think it can), then the AI should hold the patent. The human creators of the AI would not be the inventor any more so than the biological parents of human inventors would be considered the inventors of any of their children’s inventions.

1 Like

I like the logic:) But This also brings up some legal and moral issues. Can AI have moral rights? Moral rights might have no intrinsic value but having your name on an invention is prestigious and could get you recognition, or lead to a new position. Can an autonomous vehicle be held liable? Here’s a great article by an inventor, patent attorney and professor. Do laws need to adapted for robots?

1 Like

Great read! Thanks for directing me to it. I agree with much of what was said. :+1:

1 Like

Yes it brings up more questions than it answers:) Like peeling the onion.

1 Like

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service