Tech Talk: Microchip Implants - Would you do it?

(Ray Nelson) #1

Microchip implants are still very rare, but there are trailblazers out there right now getting these inserted for various purposes. Biohacking is already happening in Russia, with hackers implanting chips under their skin to bypass security and exploit Android phones. On (or in, in this case) the other hand, these can also be used for convenience purposes like mobile payments and keyless entry.

Would you consider an implant? Why or why not?

Doctor Implanted 6 MicroChips Under His Skin to Unlock Doors and Secure Data | Hackbusters

(Chris) #2

I am not sure that I would. I do see the potential benefits and convenience this type of technology could provide. Although in the digital world convenience often trumps security, and I feel that this would quickly be exploited. I understand bio hacking is already happening, but I feel this would fast track that community.

(Joseph Bryan Ellison) #3

No, everything will be hacked eventually.

(Ray Nelson) #4

While you’re right, everything will be hacked eventually, that wouldn’t be the thing that stops me at this point. Cell phones are hacked all the time but I carry one. Cars are stolen all the time but I drive one. At this point the only real deterrent for me is the potential long-term health effects that we can’t be sure of yet. Give it a few more years, and I’ll be ready to unlock my doors and pay for my lunch with a wave of the hand.

(Russ N) #5

No way, personally. In my opinion, the potential convenience vs. security trade-off simply isn’t worth it. Being able to have someone track your smartphone is one thing but you can always turn it off or (gasp!) not have it with you. But once you go the microchip route you’re opening the door to be tracked far more than you already are (and with less ability to head off the tracking without some self-surgery, etc.). Will there be a lot of people who will just jump in for the sake of either trendiness or convenience? Absolutely. I won’t be one of them. This one is an issue to be very careful of. And an interesting topic for here.

Not interested. As the technology will be eventually hacked, the technology will become obsolete. While the idea that this technology is embedded with the user, it can be removed and unless there are means to prevent the extraction, cloning, or other means to prevent reuse, this technology is a novelty and not feasible for mainstream usage.

(Amy) #7

I think the decision on using the implants also depends on the integrity of the organization issuing them. Is this something mandatory to implant by the government? Or credit card companies for security? Or will it be more like a Raspberry Pi where you DIY the implants for your personal needs, such as home security.

For me, it really depends on the organization using them, and the specific use case, however I’m not going to volunteer to be a Beta tester.

Personally and professionally I think this is a bad idea. Not only is the technology new enough that it has unknown possible health ramifications in the future, but consider how easy it will be to steal someone’s personal or business information. Phishing would be a thing of the past. No need to infiltrate the system when they are walking around in public with the information literally at hand. Also consider current news stories involving the bio hacking of pacemakers and insulin pumps. You could change someones identity to a wanted felon and they would not even realize it.

Fallacy: Proximity does not signal intent.

Just because I have something does not mean I want to use it.