Vishing Robocalls Threaten To Arrest You. I Just Received One

Has anyone received a threatening robo call? I just received this one in a digitized male voice. These have been ongoing since 2018. Many fake police departments or government agencies. This one was non specific. Scammers are always tweaking their game.

"The moment you receive this message I need you to get back to me on my department division number that is (New York area code) 929.XXX.XXXX. I repeat 929.XXX.XXXX. Now if I don’t hear a call from you we will have to issue an arrest warrant under you name and get you arrested. So get back to me as soon as possible. Thank you!

Yes. A very friendly threatening call. Very much like some ransomware messages trying to end a threat with a kind word. I was eager to learn the game. Since scammers could be using this to confirm cell phone numbers or to then pitch their scam, I used my Magicjack softphone number and switched from the regular number to the ID which uses a series of numbers for caller ID. My call went through and I was redirected to another “department” where I heard a male voice speaking English with what sounded like an Indian or possibly Pakistani accent and then the phone call was dropped. Could be a boiler operation call center. The scammers could be located in India or Pakistan and have the system set up to match a call database dropping what they see as a blocked ID. I then tried calling back with my cell ID blocked about to hours later and received a different recording of a women speaking English telling me to leave a message. So looks like they were changing tactics within a few hours. Needless to say these are always bogus vishing messages.

Anyone get one of these calls? Here’s another specimen posted by the Attorney General of Michigan’s Office. However this one had a more specific threat message.
https://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-359-81903_20942-462701--,00.html
Threat message:

Featured Webinars

Advanced Phishing and
Training

Monday 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM
» Learn More
Outlook Phish Alert Button
Tuesday 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM
» Learn More
Customizing Phishing Templates, Landing Pages, & Training Notifications
Wednesday 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM